BSAC OFFICIAL STATEMENT ON CHRISTIAN HIP HOP VERSUS CHRISTIAN RAP
The devil has used idolatry and sinful entertainment to corrupt and bring stumbling-blocks to believers for thousands of years. Another tool he uses to cause distractions is confusion. God is not the author of confusion, but of peace. As biblically sound believers, our goal is to work with Jesus Christ to deliver people from sin, edify them in truth and build them up in the Spirit of Christ. Part of our responsibility is to refuse to join in needless debates, and minister biblical answers instead of quarrels and questions. One of these hot points is centered around Hip Hop music/Rap music. Here is what we believe, biblically about hip hop versus rap:
- There are two main definitions of the phrase “hip hop”: One is a style of music created by a disc jockey spinning breakbeats in a rhythmic and repetitive fashion. This lead to rapping, and new forms of expression around this new type of technique in music production.
- The second definition of hip hop is based on a culture, then a religion created by man. This form of “hip hop” has turned into an attitude, and a way of life centered on Satan’s prideful and rebellious form of self-worship, and merchandising of talent, music and beauty (Ezekiel 28:13-18).
- BSAC absolutely denounces the culture and/or religion of hip hop and we denounce following after the worldly spirit which is based in iniquity and the spirit of this sinful age. We denounce the need to be connected to the cabal of artists, musicians, creatives, and businessmen that celebrate the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life (1 John 2:15-17). We do not honor the name or work of sinners, whether they be current or historic. (Psalms 1:1-2). We absolutely “love not the world.”
- BSAC has no issue with any technical style of music or art form of expression. God has given man the ability to be creative and invent new technology and new sounds. We give a warning against copying and sampling sinful artists. (See BSAC Official Stament on Ungodly Collaborations, Remixes and Samples). Christians should aim for Holy Spirit creativity, originality, and giving God glory.
- As a whole, BSAC chooses to stay away from quarrels on semantics, and instead disciple those under our influence to focus on Christ, who is the head of all things, in whom are hid all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge, and in whose focus and gaze is transformation, maturity, and holiness (Colossians 2:2-10, 2 Corinthians 3:18). We can change the titles of our music, but that does not change the heart. Only focusing on Jesus Christ who is the Word of God can change the heart.
- We believe that it is unbiblical to quarrel about words and seek to subvert hearers to extra-biblical arguments (2 Timothy 2:14). It is also unbiblical to invest the energy of our ministry into fables, genealogies, histories, and things that cannot be proven, instead of teaching the bible. We seek to minister biblical answers that help people develop love from a pure heart… not endless unprovable debates and questions (1 Timothy 1:3-5).
- BSAC chooses to teach biblical terminology to increase understanding and edify, not to promote controversy and debate. Our goal is to minister truth, deliverance, and love, using biblically sound Christ-centered doctrine in creative ways. Our primary goal is not to entertain or sell our products, but to grow the Body of Christ by speaking the truth in love.
BSAC, the Biblically Sound Artist Coalition, is a network of artists, writers, designers, producers, musicians, media personalities, singers, and Pastors who are passionate about the beauty and glory of God, and are concerned and active against the compromise and corruption that has infiltrated the Body of Christ. We use our God-given talents and resources to create and promote God focused music, publishing, and media for the body of Christ, and for reaching the world with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.