BSAC OFFICIAL STATEMENT ON FAMILY, CHURCH, FULL TIME WORK BALANCE
In the kingdom of God, we must work to develop a balance of family, church, and outreach ministry that is in the proper biblical order. Many young men struggle to understand the balance and the proper use of their gifts and talents in their proper seasons. Many men take unbiblical risks under the guise of serving God. Many fall to the temptation to compromise to sin their music or publishing ministry for an increase in income. This is a tactic that the enemy can use to undercut our high callings, our families and our churches. It also causes failure in the Body of Christ as we are tempted to perform well for the public when our private lives are in shambles. As Biblically Sound Artists, we believe that:
- A single person has the right to use his gifts, talents, and take risks to serve God in ministry, missionary work, publishing, entrepreneurship, and non-spiritual secular employment… as long as he works hard, fears God, avoids sin, and stays away from unmanageable debt (Ecclesiastes 11:9-10, 1 Corinthians 7:32-34, Romans 13:8, 2 Thessalonians 3:9-12).
- It is a noble and an honorable thing to work with our hands (Ephesians 4:28), work for the government (Nehemiah 1:11), or work a business/job with a natural, non-spiritual product that doesn’t conflict the interests of the Kingdom of God (Mark 6:3). Contentment and excellence in a natural career is a sign of character and maturity. Contentment with a natural career is not an inhibitor to ministry, but an enabler of true spiritual ministry (1 Corinthians 7:20-23, 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12, 1 Timothy 3:7).
- A married man must avoid extreme risks, and seek to provide guaranteed income for his family via non-spiritual secular employment, non-spiritual business ownership, profitable publishing work, and/or full-time or part time ministry employment or church planting. (1 Timothy 5:8, 1 Corinthians 7:32-34)
- Discipling our wives and children to follow Christ, while we provide for them and care for them, is our highest priority as Believers with families. Our families are our first fruit. (1 Corinthians 7:32-34, 1 Timothy 3:2-5, Proverbs 23:26, Luke 7:35).
- All Christians should seek to support and build the local church by joining, volunteering, and serving as a saint, deacon, or overseer (Phillipians 1:1, Psalms 110:3). All Believers should support the church financially and with their time and energy as led by the Spirit of God, because the church is God’s family on the earth. This is not necessarily about your title as a “member”, but more about the actions you consistently take to support fellowship, love believers, give financially, and serve when possible (Proverbs 3:9-10, Galatians 6:6-10, 1 Timothy 3:15).
- There is no perfect church or ministry. However we believe that interceding for the church, communicating respectfully with elders, supporting the best you can, teaching your own family, or planting a new church assembly – if the Lord instructs you – is the biblical way to improve the church when there are problems. Biblically sound Believers will never abandon the church.
- As Biblically Sound Artists, we believe that providing for our families and building the church is the highest and most important purpose for our gifts and talents, so we will not let our publishing and outreach ministries displace or supplant our service to our family ministries and church ministries (Luke 1:17, Ephesians 3:10-11,15).
BSAC, the Biblically Sound Artist Coalition, is a network of artists, writers, designers, producers, musicians, media personalities, singers, and Pastors who are passionate about the beauty and glory of God, and are concerned and active against the compromise and corruption that has infiltrated the Body of Christ. We use our God-given talents and resources to create and promote God focused music, publishing, and media for the body of Christ, and for reaching the world with the Gospel of Jesus Christ.